Wednesday 3 September 2014

ME misdiagnosed?

Hi everyone

I saw a headline on a newspaper back in June when we were rushing through Manchester Airport to catch a plane to Barcelona that claimed a third of ME diagnoses were incorrect!

I completely forgot about it until recently and then I'd forgotten which newspaper it was in but today James found it and sent me the link and I thought I'd share it with you all as it's an interesting read. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10904532/ME-one-third-of-patients-wrongly-diagnosed.html

I feel in some ways this could be more accurate to my symptoms, especially as something I've experienced throughout the pneumonia and which continued once that had cleared is a high heart/pulse rate (otherwise known as tachycardia in the medical industry). I'm not sure how to go about getting tested for this or even who to ask about it as it would appear, from what the article says, that many medical professionals haven't heard of the condition.

In addition to this article James also came across another article that claims that dark chocolate appears to help sufferers of chronic fatigue syndrome: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8154796/Chocolate-may-ease-symptoms-of-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-research.html
Now this is something I could get on board with! I LOVE dark chocolate. I'm actually considering doing my own completely unscientific 'research' and I think I will eat 15g of dark chocolate a day for 1 week and I'll start this on Monday. I'll keep you all updated with my progress. The worst thing that can happen is I've enjoyed a small amount of chocolate per day and at its best, it could help. So let's see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment